Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Saturday 21 May 2016

Roof extension to keep clay oven dry(ish!)

After a truly horrendous week at work I decided to chill out in the woods and so went over fairly late on Saturday afternoon and set myself up on the kitchen side with a book in the Yardarm - the birds came in ridiculously close; I assume because they simply couldn't see me or my outline sitting quietly under the eaves. A woodpecker even came down and landed on the right hand upright of the yardarm in front of me!

My trusty partner-in-crime also couldn't turn down a lock-in at the yardie and turned up early evening with wine and nibbles and we both settled in round the fire-pit for a few glasses and a catch up.
The moon was full and it was exactly 2 years since we became the new custodians of Rais - so it was only fair that we made the most of the glorious night. As is typical of such occasions, the birds were singing when we decided to get to bed and I precariously clambered into my hammock for the first time. It is surprisingly comfortable, after you've slowed the swinging down which is a little queazy at first.
Flee turned up on the Sunday to erect the roof extension in preparation for the start of the clay oven build on the May bank holiday weekend.