Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Monday 1 May 2017

Beltane Bank Holiday Weekend

The twins can bake cake for us anytime!
Happy birthday Aunty Tracey.
Curry, cake and copious amounts of wine kept the chill off as Friday night was a little on the hutchy side, even for me.  It was Caroline's first night sleeping at the wood, so of course a lock-in at the Yardarm was called for... I think it was 3am by the time we actually went to sleep... and 5am when the Woodpecker starting drilling again... Grrrr. what was wrong with last year's nest hole eh? I mean... talk about fussy.
Saturday saw most of us clearing rhodies or roots and Flee moved up yet another level on the dam - very exciting.
just before the next pipe went on
I made some minor repairs to Cassius with fire cement (cheating I know, but I'm done digging clay and puddling in paddling pools). Flee fired him up mid afternoon and we mounted the thermometer in the door to give us some kind of guide to how different sized logs, and the frequency of loading them, were affecting things. This of course prompted another re-sort and replenishment of the firewood pile and a second stab at clearing the eyesore that is the log pile outside "Trap Number 2".
The repairs held and after a climatic 350 degrees celsius, pizza night was once again a success, with a thin and crispy taking about 10 minutes and a deep pan maybe 15.
Come Sunday morning, Cassius was still reading 105 degrees, the clouds had rolled in and unfortunately there was a barely noticeable flow of water coming from somewhere other than the outfall pipe in the dam, so Flee got in the pond to do some smearing and with any luck has bunged it up sufficiently so as not to cause a problem, but only time will tell.
The perfectly level overflow pipe
The girls worked through the lack of sleep clearing some more of the stream on the eastern side, drinking tea and ferrying barrow loads of chopped rhodie to the fire. Having burnt everything we gave him, Simon then worked on mark II of the forest shower, complete with an easy-turn winch for weaklings like me to be able to hoist the bucket high enough above me. I went with two thirds cold water and one flask of boiling water which turned out to be plenty enough water as I only used half the bucket, but perhaps not quite enough warmth. Flee went next using the remaining half bucket and adding another flask of boiling. So I suspect next time I will opt for half a bucket of cold and 2 flasks. Either way it was just as magical as the first time... there is something quite liberating about standing butt naked in the middle of a woodland taking a (much needed) shower. There are a few mods still needed; a towel rail and safe area to get dressed would be handy - After a precarious attempt at getting my trousers on slipping around on the platform in my wellies, I grabbed my clothes and ran back to the fire in the end which seemed like the safest option.
Forest Bucket Shower
Sunday had already been another clumsy day for me when I managed to whack myself in the face with the hooked end of a bungee cord. Not pleasant, but could have been much worse. Note to self: when a bungee cord is trapped under a log, don't stand above it and pull upwards... eejit.   I was clearing the tarp hide that was my very first makeshift one three years ago. It was only intended to be temporary, but irritatingly had become a dumping ground for old furniture destined for the fire (but never remembered).
Not anymore... Beltane (May day) is the festival of fire and we certainly made sure it was big enough to burn everything stashed under that tarp. Which was a good job, because the weather had turned changeable and we were in and out of the yardarm all evening trying to avoid rain showers before we eventually stole some embers and placed the firepit in the Yardarm with us. It was so cosy, we stayed there till the very early hours.

Monday started like every other morning of the weekend.... the sodding woodpecker drilling away at stupid o'clock. How big a hole does he need? but on Monday morning, there was another treat in store... the woodpecker was immediately followed by a wood pigeon relentlessly calling right above my tent. I love spring, really I do, but does it have to start so bloody early in the morning?
Drained of sleep, but still keen and smiling, we put up three new nest boxes, and went to take down Megan's box outside Tracey's tent. Last year the woodpeckers had drilled out the entrance hole to get at the chicks and we want to put a metal plate on it to make it safe and secure again. The problem is that I had put the box up last year in a slightly unconventional way (using a combination of strategically placed nails instead of a single screw) so Flee had a struggle to get the thing off without proper tools... a bit of wiggling, tugging and shaking and instead of the box coming free of the tree, a bird suddenly flew out of it straight past Flee's face!!! Bit of a shock - we were convinced it was not being used. Guilt ridden and inwardly upset, I stood watching the box from a distance to see if the bird ventured back. After about ten minutes, a Blue Tit landed on the front of the box, and immediately flew off again. I do hope all will be well. 
The makeshift wine warmer
In other news..... the green man is finally hanging somewhere in the wood where he can watch over the comings and goings, and Flee gets his fourth new flask. Yes I know, I should never be allowed near flasks again... I dropped it on the floor in the Yardarm smashing the glass and turning it into yet another oversized percussion instrument. In my defence, it was dark, it was late (or early however you want to look at it) and it was a seriously clumsy (alcohol-fuelled) weekend. Sorry Flee. x