Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Sunday 4 May 2014

The vivid lime green of spring

Bluebells in the East
A quick dash through the wood today, in between gardening stints at home, to capture the bluebells before they are gone for another year. So glad I did, the place has changed so much in just a week. Felt warm, sunny, and so alive. Caught a glimpse of a large brown bird of prey too, as it flew across the wayleave in Flourish wood and disappeared into the trees on the West.
Many more new wildflowers have emerged, one that I struggled to identify as have never seen the yellow pimpernel before - delicate little number, and I certainly didn't realise Britain had so many native ferns that all look very much alike. I have settled on this large clump being "Lady Ferns" but apparently I will be able to check properly in the Autumn when the scales form on the underside of the fronds.
Lady Ferns
I discovered another new tree too, turns out to be a Rowan. Stunning and growing just over the stream where it drops into a deepish pool with very steep banks - not an impossible place to create a walk-in secluded forest shower one day.
Rowan - Sorbus aucuparia
The local searches came back this week from the solicitor and thankfully there is nothing of any concern and so we signed the contracts and the transfer deed and I posted it through the solicitors door today. I am working overseas again this week so I wanted there to be no hold-ups on account of my absence. Hopefully all that needs to happen now is to exchange the contracts and pay the money! with any luck Rais will be ours within the next two weeks.
Downloaded a couple of apps on my phone this morning too, one to help with identifying bird song which I am seriously bad at. I can pick out the bigger birds, many woodland types like Jays, Pheasants and Woodpeckers as well as blue tits and my beloved Tawny of course, but the LBJs (little brown jobs) still confuse the hell out of me. I also downloaded an app for identifying butterflies but I haven't tried that yet. Much to see, much to learn and even more to do. I can't wait.