Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Sunday 7 February 2016

another wet and wild weekend

Could it have got any windier this weekend? thankfully no major storm damage at Rais. A lot of debris on the woodland floor, and some very eerie noises as the trees leant against each other and jostled for swaying space.  Thankfully the wind is welcome relief when you're working hard outdoors; I got pretty hot and red-faced hacking my way through Rhodies on the Eastern side of the stream, pausing only to yank brambles out of the ground. Most of them came out surprisingly easily, roots and all, but the stench of stagnant water and the odd one coming out with such force it flicked filthy water and sludge all over me wasn't pleasant. I went through three pairs of gloves this weekend and I know that I'm going to feel it for a few days to come - my arms are already punctured a hundred times by brambles and look like I've gone ten rounds with a feral cat. Might have to invest in a pair of gauntlets instead of gloves.

The sun was in and out all day today and at times the skies darkened and the winds picked up again to the point where we could hear what sounded like the trees howling from across the clearing, the rain thundered down, but within a few minutes all was calm again; the sun was out and the wind had stopped as if nothing had happened - most bizarre.

Back at the Yardarm I decided to create a wind screen to try and make brew-breaks a little more comfortable on days like today. I needed to clear the valley path across the way-leave at some point soon anyway, so I decided to use the cut Hazel growing from the stumps to weave a low greenwood screen.
I have no idea whether or not Hazel cuttings will root if pushed into the earth - I know Willow does as I've tried it, and the wild honeysuckle we accidentally cut last year and then shoved back in the soil on the other side of the Yardarm has surprisingly also now produced new leaves so there's no reason to think the Hazel will not do the same. So I pushed each bunch of hazel cuttings into the bank before weaving and we will simply have to wait a few more weeks to find out if I have a temporary windbreak or a living Hazel screen - fingers crossed.

Ant took out some monster Rhodies on the banks around camp and we will soon be at a point where we have to start burning and shredding the rapidly growing piles of root balls and brash before the birds start nesting in them.  Days are getting longer and it's only another month or so before the clocks change and spring will be in full swing - can't quite believe how quick the weeks pass - but we are making good progress.

Turkeytail fungus (Trametes versicolor) is everywhere at this time of year and very obvious without the leaves and greenery covering everything up. Beautiful colours and such variety  - just a shame it's not edible -apparently it was used in days of old to decorate hats! hmmn - not sure it would go with the wedding outfit I have planned for next month, but, as fungi goes, it is pretty stunning up close.