Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Sunday 4 December 2016

Autumn catch up.... been a little busy lately...


Not even sure where to start - it's been a bit hectic this autumn what with work being so manic and me travelling all over the place. But that doesn't mean work at Rais has stopped - not by a long shot...
I've personally not been to Rais as often as I'd like (I fear this will always be the case with my job), so most of November saw Simon up there alone again, path strimming and clearing rhodies like a machine - and regularly baiting the new hive for me; making the place unrecognisable, accessible and awesome all at once.
So much so, that in late November Simon caught his first woodpecker at the Hive on his mobile (I'm working on his camera angle but give me time) - the birds are regularly visiting the feeding post and seem to be un-fussed by human presence. I just hope it was as exciting for him as the news was for me - the Hive is working!
I had my birthday in November too, which meant I was blessed with some fantastic presents, including a full size, totally camouflaged, home made, Tawny owl box. So excited.
Early December we took ladders up there to get the thing fixed in one of the oaks on the Northern border. We faced it East to ensure any chicks don't cook in the summer and the box doesn't face any prevailing winds.
Moving the Yule Log
Since then, Ant has completed phase 1 of the mammoth (5 month) campervan renovation, so we had the privilege of his company (and his muscles), and after some searching, he picked out the perfect Yule log.
Now, considering it must burn for three days straight and provide enough light and heat for everyone, it has to be a pretty impressive and important piece - which means it weighs a tonne!
Light work for the boys to get it down into camp, where Flee and Ant had spent a long day logging in preparation for the yuletide celebrations.
Beside myself with excitement... christmas eve til boxing day in the wood - I can't wait. Cassius will be fired up to cook the roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese whilst the turkey turns on the spit - what could be finer? Except knowing that I will be sharing it with my nearest and dearest who have spent all year making it possible. Love you all and can't thank you enough - it's a dream come true - smiling all the way to the moonlit wayleave. x