Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Saturday 11 August 2018

Saturday 11th August 2018

This week the weather forecast was not so good for Sunday so I was at Rais on Saturday. I was on call so needed to stay at the top.

A quick look in Immac when I arrived showed little new mouse evidence, although they may just be biding their time! I did another bottle of weed killer and sprayed it on the stumps in the gully. This time I read the instructions properly and used much more than last time so it will be interesting to see if it works.

The mouse in the hive has been busy. I had put the metal cleaver over the hole in the box of nibs last time I cleared out his nest, to deter him, so he has just eaten his way round it and started again! It can't be good for him to eat all that plastic. I moved the nibs into the metal ammo box and generally tided up, hopefully that will be as successful as down in Immac.




















Once the shed was clean I cleared brambles by the path up by the cars, it did not look like there was much when I started but I soon had a wheelbarrow full and it looks a lot clearer now. It looks like we  have the first casualty from the oak saplings though.

Even after a couple of days rain the stream is almost dry, it is not until the shower you can hear any kind of trickle of water. Walking downstream I found a very active wasps nest by the bridge behind the hive, and gave them a wide berth!

After some lunch I spent an hour with the camera. First impressions were frustrating but on review at home it was not so bad. I made a new suet feeder and the nuthatch and tits were very keen on it but most of the shots are overexposed so I need to work on that.
Today was mostly on auto settings but I did use manual focus later. I'm a bit annoyed as the manual focus was a key thing I looked at before buying and the review said it has a twist lens like a DSLR to set the manual focus, but in fact that must have been a totally different review because it doesn't and it's actually really fiddly, definitely not something that can be done quickly. (feel free to insert derogatory Canon comment here!)
















I had cooled down quite a bit, which is a bit of a novelty after the last couple of months, so I spent another half hour clearing brambles behind the hive then called it a day to sort out the car track setup before tomorrows rain.