Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Saturday 22 September 2018

Saturday 22nd September 2018

It has been a very windy week, with 3 storms following each other across the country and, disappointingly after two weeks away, the weekend forecast was very wet from Saturday lunchtime onwards.  However, I have worked out that I can count on two hands the number of weekends I can make progress before you get back! and I have a definite target I want to get to so I was keen to get in at least a few hours at Rais, as well as see if there was any damage from the storms.

First thing I noticed on arrival was the old ivy on the oak at the top of the wood, it does not look like it will be attached much longer

Walking down to the hive found another big bough down from the same oak tree as before. A quick wander round the rest of the wood found a couple of small dead trees had come down as well but nothing else major so the first job was to clear the path. I stripped off  the smaller branches and leaves and added them to the brash pile from last time but kept the main branch as intact as possible in case it will be useful.

There's been big change in the two weeks I've been away and Autumn is definitely here. The leaves are starting to turn and the chestnut trees are weighed down with fruit and the weather is much cooler. The activity at the wasps nest has dropped off, although there were still a few going in and out, but despite some recent rain the stream is still bone dry towards the top of the hill. There is quite a bit of fungi popping up though
















I knew the rain was not far away so as soon as I had finished by the Hive I started down by the camp. The area at the top of the steps towards the shower was the one section that bracken has not been cleared from so far this year so that was my main aim. Once that was cleared though I kept on and started on the bramble and rohdie
The rain came in about 11.30 and was quite light at first so I kept going for another 3/4 of an hour so so until it really got set in then called it a day, quite dissapointed to have to end early as I had been making really good progress. (and picking up quite a few bramble scratches!)

Despite the food all being out of reach the mice have not given up on Immac. I dropped a new bag of seeds down on Tuesday and they have already had a go at it! I transferred them into the metal bins for safe keeping.