Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Saturday 28 March 2015

Birch Sap Saturday

Yesterday whilst sorting through a huge pile of magazines I haven't got round to reading yet I came across an article about harvesting birch sap and the amazing medicinal and health benefits of drinking the stuff (obviously not if you turn it into wine or beer first which is pretty common) but if you drink it "raw" so to speak.

Since we have an abundance of Birch in the north east corner of Rais, I decided to give it a go, so I researched a few websites to find out how to do it - sounded pretty simple, so this morning I armed myself with a washed-out Ribena bottle, a sharp knife and a bungee strap and set off for the wood.
Unfortunately it didn't quite go to plan... I tied the bottle to the tree, inserted my whittled "tap" and had sap dripping into the bottle no problem - but then I disappeared for a brew and returned to discover the weight of the filling bottle had pulled it out of the bungee strap, down the bank and into the flowing stream below - annoyingly when I found it, it was 3/4 full and standing upright in the stream with water flowing past a few inches below the top - so I was left pondering the physics of working out if the contents are likely to still be sap or stream water (cue a second brew). I decided, given the circumstances, it probably wasn't a good idea to drink it neat but to take it home and Google whether or not boiling it would destroy the good bits in it that would allegedly make me feel ten years younger - and in doing so, boy did I set myself up for a lesson in patience.
I discovered that 100 litres of birch sap could be evaporated down to make just 1 litre of Birch sap syrup - so my measly 2 litres of possible sap (but potentially stream water) could maybe yield me a teaspoon of said golden elixir. So I got out the saucepan and the sieve and read on.
Birch sap apparently generates a golden syrup not unlike maple syrup, only savory not sweet. Good to put on pancakes, or in sauces etc. and keeps forever! Sounded marvelous - however it must not be allowed to boil rapidly since the sugar inside it is very delicate and would very quickly give it a burnt taste. So I set the pan on a low heat and waited...and waited...and waited.
4 hours later and I was swilling a saucepan staring at urine coloured liquid an inch deep - hardly syrup and with not a particularly promising odour. So I waited some more.
Another hour or so and it was most definitely syrup coloured if a little on the thin side - I decided my tablespoon of "syrup" might gloop up a bit if I poured it into a cold glass... it didn't. But what the heck I had expended far too much effort not to taste it now - I sipped. It blew my head off! I sipped again - nope not a mistake, it blew my head off. Strangely enjoyable though. So after boiling it down for over 5 hours I decided to pour it into a mug, and add boiling water to make a drink, I of course chucked in a shot of Amarula for good luck and downed the lot. As a result, I will be heading back to Rais tomorrow to give it another go - that is of course if I haven't given myself some nasty stomach bug!