Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Friday 21 December 2018

Friday 21st December - Winter Solstice

After what seems like weeks of travelling for work (mainly because it was 4 weeks pretty much solid) it's time for a few days off over the Christmas break.

Friday dawned mild and dry, if cloudy, but with the promise of brighter skies later in the day so, after a leisurely start, I headed up to Rais for a few hours at about 11.

There has obviously been a lot of rain and wind in the last few weeks as there is a lot of dead fall and the ground is pretty wet underfoot. There are a few small trees down, all dead for some time by the look of them so the chainsaw will get a workout next time I am there, but nothing significant new. A bird of some kind had obviously come a cropper on the path down to the Hive but nothing else of note jumped out in a quick walk round
After putting some food out for the birds I did an hour of so digging up stumps in the wayleave. So far the job is much easier than I anticipated and I made good progress, the biggest ones are still to move though.
After a quick break I moved to to chopping for the rest of the day and cleared a good area, stumps and all, in a couple of ours before I called it day at about 3.30, just as the sun was dipping behind the trees.
Once I got home I realised I'm a bit out of shape after a few weeks off, I will be achy tomorrow!