Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Friday 28 December 2018

Friday 28th December 2018

Friday dawned cloudy but dry and noticeably warmer than yesterday. Today was a big day as Flee had finally managed to get hold of the mini digger so we could sort out the parking area.

Caution. It all looks a bit raw right now but don't worry, it will soon blend in.

I arrived about half nine with the rest of the ballast liberated from my parents lane repairs to find Flee with the digger unloaded and already hard at work. Over the course of the morning we levelled the area where I generally park by taking the top off the rise there, and then tidied up the very dead Elder tree and levelled the area along the edge of the roadway, down to where you park, to get rid of the dip that was there.
















Once that was done we laid the slabs Flee has rescued from the our side passage when he did our patio and then used the ballast to make another well packed space next to that. The rest of it will just stay as earth for now, but it's much more level if we do need to park some cars on there. My dad will probably be digging up his quite large tarmac drive at some point this year so more scalpings might come available then if we want them.







I think we were both really pleased with the result. It's a shame Flee could not get the digger until now so it will have no time to settle in before you see it but it won't take long until you won't be able to tell what was done I'm sure.



We were all done by lunchtime so after lunch Flee resisted the temptation to get to work on the dam with the digger! and instead went and carried on working in the wayleave by the dam to clear the brambles. I didn't get a photo yet but he said he found the boundary and the border of brash you had put along there and he had been building that back up.

As I stared work I noticed activity at the feeders over by the Hive. For the last few weeks, in fact since I first tried my new camera up there, I have not seen any birds at all at the feeders while I have been there. The food does go, eventually, but they are much shyer than down by the yardarm so it was great to watch from 100 yards or so away and see a constant stream of birds to and from the feeders including the woodpecker who spent a good three minutes on the suet feeder (no wonder the wood is going as well as the suet!)
There is a Woodpecker in this picture, honest!
I spent a couple of hours chopping and digging stumps, I think you're going to see a big difference from May, and called it a day half an hour or so after Flee at about half three.