Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Saturday 17 November 2018

Saturday 17th November 2018

It has been a dark and dismal week with fog and drizzle most of the week but the weekend was forecast sunny and clear so after a challenging week at work I was up early to get to Rais. I arrived a bit after 9 and Ant turned up not much later.



After feeding the birds, checking my tent, (only to find the mice have eaten a hole in the floor!) and finding yet more mushrooms down by the yardarm
we started with a fire to get rid of the last few weeks chopping. While Ant got the fire going I started on the stumps left over from last week which mostly came out quite easily as the earth is pretty soft just there.








The burrow I found last time looks like it has been in use as a lot of the leaves blocking it had been cleared away and when I dug up the first rohdie root, which was a good 10-15 feet away, it seemed to expose a tunnel so it does seem like something has made a home there. So I hastily covered it back up and moved on!

















Ant and I carried on chopping and burning for a couple of hours and then I went down to the gully and  burned all the brash left over from when Helen was clearing in the wayleave a few weeks ago. That didn't take too long to get rid of and while the fire was dying down I dug up the first few stumps that are left in that section. I've been dreading this area as the stumps are huge and look like they are unlikely to move, but the first few came up quite easily. There are plenty more to do though!
Despite clear skies the dusk came quickly even though it's still a month until the shortest day so we called it a day around 4