Awards

Woodlands Awards Winners 2018 Woodlands Awards Winners 2021

Search This Blog

Sunday 6 April 2014

Second visit on an overcast Spring day

I couldn't resist going back today after realising I hadn't really taken many useful photos yesterday, so I collected my Mum (and photography business partner) and we set out after lunch. My mind is so messed up with excitement at the moment I discovered my camera wasn't even charged, so had to borrow Mum's little automatic - so unlike me!
We'd had rain last night, so I was expecting it to be boggy, and it certainly was - we slipped and slid our way up and down banks and were rewarded with newly appeared fungi that look like old man's ears - will need to check my book for the name, but have a vague recollection of them being something related to jelly fungus. We investigated the white plastic tub which we now think is a pheasant feeder, protected from deer behind the wire mesh fencing. We also found chestnut trees on the Eastern border and am delighted that they are Sweet (edible when roasted) and not Horse (which simply produce conkers).
On our way back to the car, the neighbour, Joe, made an appearance through the Rhododendron hedge with his friend John. We chatted about the area and our plans, and he told us about his land and activities which include monthly clay pigeon shoots on Sunday mornings which he is considering stopping on account of the noise and his Iranian neighbour who is also fond of loud guns. Joe also has a very useful machine which makes light work of Rhododendron bushes and their roots and explained that he and his machine are both available to hire when we get started. We will certainly be needing it - they are everywhere you look and can grow to monstrous sizes if left. I know that there are Woodland Improvement Grants (WIGs) available, which cover the eradication of these non-native, rampant evergreens, so will be doing some research over Easter.